Are you ready to put the days of billable hours behind you? Do you enjoy performing diligence and analyzing legal documents to uncover critical information? Are you excited about collaborating with entrepreneurs who are working to achieve Health Moonshots? Are you looking to go “in-house” for a mission-driven organization, where no two days are the same? If you answered YES, we want to meet you!
StartUp Health is hiring an attorney to work closely with our in-house counsel and play a key role in building out an innovative legal approach and process to support our next phase of rapid growth. Reporting to our Chief Compliance & Legal Officer, this new position will incorporate a diverse spectrum of legal matters including performing prospective company diligence and coaching portfolio company CEOs (currently more than 215 from 19 countries). This role is a unique opportunity for your work and impact to be professionally and personally rewarding, contributing greatly to our mission to improve the health and wellbeing of everyone in the world. Preferred location of NYC, but open to remote candidates.
- Collaborate with Chief Compliance & Legal Officer on all legal matters including due diligence, M&A activity, agreements, term sheets and partnership contracts
- Perform substantive document review and provide valuable insight/feedback on corporate structure, legal documents, shareholder and financing agreements of prospective and active portfolio companies
- Provide guidance to portfolio company leadership on legal implications of all matters pertaining to the operations of a business, including risk management, employment matters, corporate governance issues, regulatory matters and intellectual property
- Participate in and lead diligence calls with prospective portfolio companies (and outside counsel as needed)
- Organize incoming legal requests from team, partners and portfolio company leadership and ensure project deadlines are met according to priority
- Manage legal document organization and maintenance required by the company for all portfolio companies
- Keep up-to-date on startup financing and legal trends and changes in healthcare law to best advise portfolio companies
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 3+ years full-time business and finance and/or early-stage company legal experience, at a law firm or in-house
- JD from an accredited law school and Bar membership in good standing; digital health, healthcare law, technology and/or IP experience a plus
- Active within the startup ecosystem through networking events, speaking engagements, etc.
- Strong attention to detail, critical thinking and analytical skills and ability to maintain confidentiality
- Energetic individual with a keen interest in both assisting with strategic issues and handling daily legal work
- Passionate about coaching entrepreneurs and comfortable interfacing with portfolio company leadership, outside counsel and partners
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize work and manage a high volume workload with minimal supervision
- Comfortable using (and embracing) technology most law firms won’t let you use like: Gmail, Google Drive and other collaborative software
About StartUp Health: In 2011, StartUp Health introduced a revolutionary new model for transforming health by organizing and supporting a global army of entrepreneurs called Health Transformers. The company has identified and is investing in 10 Health Moonshots, with the long-term goal of improving the health and wellbeing of everyone in the world. These include: Access to Care; Cost to Zero; Cure Disease, Cancer; Women’s Health; Longevity; Happiness & Mental Health; Brain Health; Nutrition, and Children’s Health. With the world’s largest digital health portfolio (more than 225 companies spanning six continents and 20 countries), StartUp Health’s long-term platform for entrepreneurs includes the StartUp Health Moonshot Academy, StartUp Health Network, StartUp Health Media, and StartUp Health Ventures. Founded by Steven Krein and Unity Stoakes, StartUp Health is chaired by former Time Warner CEO Jerry Levin. Notable strategic partners and investors include Allianz, Aurora Health Care, Bayer, California Health Care Foundation, Steve Case, Mark Cuban, Esther Dyson, Brad Feld, Genentech, GE Ventures, GuideWell, Kaiser Permanente Ventures, Masimo Corporation, Ping An, SAP, and SeventySix Capital.
Mindset of a StartUp Health Team Member:
- Long-Term Commitment - you are “all in” and committed long-term to our mission
- Supportive Relationships - you are continually surrounded by like-minded team members
- Quarterly & Weekly Rhythm - you recalibrate every 90 days and start each week with a sense of purpose
- Confidently Ambitious - you always convey confidence regardless of the obstacles
- Self-Aware - you are coachable, aware of your unique abilities, and leverage the unique abilities of colleagues
- Healthy Habits - you take care of yourself, have a clear mind and body, and regularly practice gratitude
- Value Creator - you are continually making your future bigger than your past
- Batteries Included - you always provide energy to others and have no tolerance for those who drain energy